Bittersweet author Sarah Ockler inspired by cupcakes

Author Sarah Ockler has a new novel, Bittersweet, coming out in January and one of the themes is baking. In this video she talks about her cupcake inspiration!





You can read chapter 1 here. I'm including a tiny bit of it below because, yes, it features cupcakes!

Dark chocolate cupcakes with red peppermint mascarpone icing, edged with chocolate and crushed candy canes

In three years of baking for Hurley’s Homestyle Diner in Watonka, New York, I’ve never met a problem a proper cupcake couldn’t fix. And while I haven’t quite perfected the recipe to fix my father, I’m totally on the verge.

“Taste this.” I pass a warm cupcake across the prep counter to Dani and lick a gob of cherry-vanilla icing from my thumb. “I think it’s the one.”

My best friend sighs. “That’s what you said about the blueberry lemon batch. And the white mocha ones. Have you seen this thing walkin’ around behind me? It’s the Great Cupcake Booty of Watonka.” She turns and shakes it, a few corkscrew curls springing loose from the pile on her head.

Comments