Of course we already covered Jessie Oleson's CakeSpy Presents Sweet Treats for a Sugar-Filled Life, but it's worth repeating. Perfect for all your unicorn-loving friends and family.
Besh's Brown Butter-Molasses Cupcakes. Recipe:
FOR THE CUPCAKES
1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
FOR THE CARAMEL
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
FOR THE ICING
1⁄3 cup (2⁄3 stick) butter
3 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. For the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 325˚. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a mixing bowl and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the whole eggs and yolks and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with a handheld mixer until fluffy, then add the sugar all at once and continue creaming until light and fluffy. Add the beaten eggs a little at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Once the eggs are well blended, add the milk and vanilla, mixing well. Fold in the flour
mixture by hand, using a rubber spatula. Don’t worry if the batter has a few lumps.
3. Fit 24 muffin-tin cups with paper liners and spray with non-stick oil. Pour the batter evenly into each cup. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Let cool.
4. For the caramel, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then allow to brown into a nice hazelnut color. Add the sugar, cream, molasses, vanilla, and salt and boil, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
5. For the icing, heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until brown; remove from the heat. Add the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla and whisk
6. To assemble the cupcakes, cut a quarter-size hole into the top of each cupcake and fill with the brown butter caramel. Spread the brown butter icing over the tops.
(Reprinted with permission by publisher Andrews McMeel.)
(Photo and recipe reprinted with permission by Wiley.)
More holiday-happy cookbooks on the way. Anyone have any favorites you care to recommend??