My last 2 cupcakes of 2011: gluten-free chocolate/chocolate and espresso Bailey's

I'll do my wrap-up of cupcakes I enjoyed in 2011 (short version: SO many!) but wanted to share the last 2 cupcakes I ate in 2011 (unless there's a sneak cupcake attack in the next four and a half hours).



Tu-Lu's Gluten Free Bakery was largely cleared out when I stopped by around 5, but I bought this chocolate/chocolate cupcake on the recommendation of a staffer and it was great. The frosting tastes like really good chocolate ice cream, in cupcake form. I don't even have words for it but if you know what a rich, chocolate-y sweet chocolate ice cream tastes like, you can imagine. The chocolate cake could've used a bit more sweetness. It wasn't bad, but wasn't as awesome as it could've been. Paired with the very rich chocolate frosting, though, it's fine.





This is an espresso Bailey's frosting on chocolate cake cupcake from Lulu Cake Boutique. It was delicious, and I wasn't sure I'd like it cause I'm not such a Bailey's person. I got it because it was one I hadn't tried from there before. The frosting is very buttery and rich so I didn't eat much of it, and it fell off as I was trying to peek inside and get a photo of the filling (I had pulled off a bit of the chocolate cake). The cake deserves a special shoutout; it was outstanding. Totally rich, moist, chocolate-flavored, sweet and delicious. I liked this flavor combination though it probably wouldn't be the one I'd personally reach for, but I look forward to trying their chocolate cake cupcakes in the future.

Comments