Wrapping up 2011

Has everybody recovered from New Year's Eve? I don't drink alcohol so I never get the hangover traditional to the night...but I did get a chance to taste some of Prohibition Bakery's excellent flavor bomb minis packed with wine and champagne and they were delicious. I had the mulled wine, with pinot noir, pear brandy, mulling spices, and a blackberry mojito, which was quite potent. I am certain I didn't get high or loopy off of them but I enjoyed the gentle bit of relaxation they provided. Sadly and embarrassingly for a photographer, no photos of the event exist, but I will see if I can get the event organizer (Dessert Professional mag) to send me some. 

The evening celebrated not just new beginnings but a putting to rest of what many people thought was a horrible year. I have been thinking about what the year in cupcakes held for me and for Cupcakes Take the Cake -- perhaps creating a best of and worst of list. I think some other contributors here will be doing that as well.

Other cupcake news, friends of CTTC Red Jett Sweets in Fort Worth, Texas, appeared today on Cupcake Wars but sadly were beat out by their competitors in a peppermint-themed competition. Hopefully we'll be able to dig up some footage for y'all. Did anyone see it? Any thoughts about the episode? It kills me that my cable package doesn't include the Food Network (also missing, TLC) so I miss a lo of baking and cooking shows that I'd love to be witness to. 
 

Another gripe (as I am now being curmudgeonly), my cupcake images of Buddy Valastro (and other pros in the field) are being sold on eBay by people who just steal them:
 




The original images are here and here:
 
Cake Boss!


Cake Boss!

That sucks. You, not-so-friendly stranger, are making money off stolen, uncredited work. And that's icky. Grr!

But on to better things...

My hope for this year is to continue to discover new and unusual cupcakes and cupcake experiences and to strengthen the friendships and ties I've made in the cupcake community.  Also, I wanted to extend my gratitude to all the readers of CTTC, who have provided me with so much support and well, baking love.



Sarah's Christmas Cupcakes

Image courtesy Wheelz24.

Comments