1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 ripe bananas), plus 1 whole banana, for garnish (optional)
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon honey
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture. In well, mix together butter, mashed bananas, eggs and vanilla. Stir to incorporate flour mixture (do not overmix).
- Dividing evenly, spoon batter into muffin cups.
- Meanwhile, make frosting.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat confectioners' sugar, butter, honey and ground cinnamon until smooth and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Bake cupcakes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Spread tops with honey-cinnamon frosting.
- Just before serving, peel and slice banana into rounds, and place one on each cupcake, if desired.