Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes from Sue George, owner of Harvard Sweet Boutique Chocolate cupcakes, filled with chocolate chip cookie dough (minus the eggs!), topped with vanilla buttercream and a homemade chocolate chip cookie! Yields: 13 cupcakes
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- Vanilla Buttercream
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Filling
- Chocolate Chip Cookies (use your favorite recipe)
Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
1/2 cup European cocoa powder
1/2 tablespoon instant espresso powder
1 cup boiling water
1/3 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
- Add cocoa powder and espresso powder to boiling water and leave to cool
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt together
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar with a mixer
- Add eggs, dry ingredients, and cocoa powder/ water mixture to the butter/sugar mixture
- Fill cupcake pans 3/4 of the way full and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 to 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely on cooling rack
Vanilla Buttercream Recipe
1/2 lb unsalted butter
1lb of confectioner's sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Combine ingredients in mixing bowl and cream until smooth
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Filling
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of butter (softened and cut into cubes)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1 tablespoon vanilla buttercream (see recipe above) or more as needed
- Combine flour, softened and cubed butter, dark brown sugar, vanilla extract and salt in a mixer and mix until dough forms.
- Add chocolate chips and buttercream to the dough and combine just until mixture holds together.
Core each cupcake by scooping out about one teaspoon of the cupcake using a pairing knife or cupcake corer. Put the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Filling into a pastry bag and cut 1/2 inch off the tip. Fill each cupcake with approximately 1 tablespoon of filling.
Fill another pastry bag with the vanilla buttercream and attach a decorating tip of your choice and pipe a generous amount of icing on top of the cupcake. Garnish the cupcakes with a wedge of your favorite homemade chocolate chip cookie and enjoy!