When you cook, you can improvise. When you bake, you need a recipe. However, when you want to make a new frosting, you can do a little of both. I was inspired to make sweet potato cream cheese frosting after looking in the fridge one morning. There was a baked sweet potato leftover from dinner, and greek cream cheese that was sent to me by Green Mountain Farms.
I used my blue KitchenAid hand mixer. [I love it, because it is light and not as noisy.]
Sweet Potato Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 medium sized baked sweet potato (must be cooled)
- 8 oz of Greek cream cheese ( room temperature)
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of cardamom
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup of confectioners' (10X) sugar
- Cut the sweet potato in big chunks and put into mixing bowl.
- Mix in the cream cheese together on medium speed until very smooth
- Add in the cinnamon and cardamon and mix
- Taste to see if you want add more spice.
- Add in vanilla extract
- Mix in brown sugar
- Add in confectioner's slowly. Add half a cup at a time.
- Stop to scrape frosting from sides of the bowl.
- Taste again. If you want to add more spice or sugar, do so.
- Frost your cupcakes or put in a container to save for later.