Susan Selasky from the Detroit Free Press perfectly explained why we will always love cupcakes.
Here are five reasons why we will always love cupcakes
1. What's on top: We love the creativity fostered by frosting — from gussied-up buttercreams in wild colors and flavors, to light and airy meringues and decadent chocolate ganache. And then there's the endless array of decorations available. Of course there are the simple sprinkles, chocolate curls and candy. But so many went further with toppings like candied bacon, pretzels, potato chips, mini action figures and dolls.
2. What's inside: Cupcakes jumped from using a plain boxed cake mix to doctored-up mixes with the addition of puddings, spices or nuts or having a theme. There are red velvet, rocky road brownie, peanut butter-infused and even cheesecake cupcakes. Injecting a baked cupcake with jams, cream fillings and frosting is the norm.
3. The pretty presentation: Those fluted paper or foil liners have come a long way. Tons of colors, designs, sizes are sold at grocery stores, craft stores and big box retailers. There are even holders for the cupcakes already in liners. Cupcakes have become the centerpiece of many dessert tables, whether they are displayed on tiers, turned into tasty towers or frosted together to form cakes for any special occasion.
4. Kid-friendly: Cupcakes have always been — and continue to be — a favorite among the younger set. They are the perfect size for smaller hands (unless you splurge for the gargantuan size) and decorating them can be fun for all ages (just watch for the little finger-lickers).
5. Travel well: These tasty treats can travel in style (not the foil-lined shirt boxes you might remember from decades past). Now, there are a variety of handy cupcake carriers, in many shapes and sizes, for easy transport so there's less mess and fewer frosting mishaps from cupcakes slipping and sliding along the way.