I once wrote about what you can do with leftover cupcakes, but I created a new thing over the Labor Day weekend. First things first, I went to an art opening on Friday and there was a lot of delicious food and drink. I took home some mini cakes that were from a grocery store. Coincidentally, I got a bottle of Wicked Dolphin Coconut Rum on Friday. In the near future, I will bake some cupcakes and make a coconut rum glaze to top the cupcakes, but I had a lightbulb moment. Why not make a mini rum cake trifle with the leftover cupcakes and the rum.
The recipe is pretty easy.
- 4-6 mini cupcakes
- 1 tbsp of Wicked Dolphin Coconut Rum
- a little butter ( less than half a tbsp)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp of water
- fresh strawberries (optional)
- grated lemon zest (optional)
- Make the rum syrup putting sugar, water and butter in a saucepan. Stir. Let cook for a few minutes. Take off heat and then add the rum. Set aside. Slice cupcakes horizontally and place slices at the bottom of a mason jar or a highball glass. Pour in a rum syrup on top. Then add a layer of frosting and/or fruit. Alternate between cupcake slices, fruit and frosting until done. Pour rum syrup on top or every layer of cupcake so that's saturated.
xoxo nina@Simplement D Liche