Cupcakery Review: Hyvee - Liberty, Missouri

I'll be catching up over the coming weeks on many cupcakeries I've evaluated, but here's my most recent one for the Hyvee grocery chain in Liberty, Missouri, in the Kansas City area:


They have long had cupcakes for order and even a few available to walk up and purchase amongst all their other pastries and baked goods, but recently I noticed that they now have about 8 varieties available in the jumbo size and 9 varieties available in the mini size, filling their display case, so I decided to review them like a full fledged cupcakery.

Look how pretty they are:



They are definitely pretty to look at and the pretty paper liners and boxes they use add to the gourmet impression, but in the end, they were a let down. 

I tried Red Velvet, Birthday Cake, Salted Caramel, Almond Cake, Peanut Butter and Raspberry.  The Red Velvet had grainy, pasty, non cream cheese icing and bitter cake, Birthday Cake tasted like Playdoh, the Almond Cake was old, dry and hard and literally made a cracking sound when I tapped it with my fork, the chocolate frosting on the Peanut Butter and Salted Caramel was slimy and more like a failed fudge experiment than a frosting. 

The flavors were bold and for the most part okay, but the execution left much to be desired.


In case anyone is interested, this is what it looks like when I'm done with one of my tastings...

Comments