CakeWalk: The 411 on pastry bags

With all the variety, picking the right pastry bag can be a daunting task (Image courtesy of Germaine Restaurant Supply)


CakeWalk is a weekly column by Mary Ann Porch dedicated to every baker who has ever struggled to achieve the right consistency with their icing, unsuccessfully searched for the perfect cupcake topper or just wants to learn something new. Because with a few helpful tips, cupcakes are a cakewalk.


As someone who frequents kitchen supply stores typically two to three times a week, I feel pretty confident when it comes to picking out the goods. Sometimes I just browse, sometimes I pick up a tool that I don’t really need but will make my life easier (you really can’t have too many spatulas, contrary to what my roommate believes). But there is one item that, without fail, makes me a little uneasy. And that’s the pastry bag.

I’m not sure where the pastry bag fear comes from. I recall once reading about how some pastry bags have the tendency to tear, so perhaps that has stuck with me, alongside the images of aesthetically unpleasing icing piped on top. To me, this is a completely rational fear – just like getting pushed in front of a subway or being mauled by a pit bull. I mean c’mon. I live in New York. All these could happen. And it’s the pastry bag that scares me most of all.

However, things are going to change. I’ve made it my weekend mission to purchase my first ever pastry bag. I’m going to march into either the Brooklyn Kitchen or Whisk, confidently waltz through to the baking supplies section, and then probably freak out about what kind of pastry bag to buy.

I decided that in an attempt to avoid the dog and pony show that is a panic and/or asthma attack, doing research before I head out on the pastry bag adventure is my best bet.

I found a great website called The Ultimate Baker that does a good job of outlining the pastry bag market. When it comes to pricing, you’ve got the cheap, the really cheap, and the really, really cheap. Sur La Table sells a pastry bag that is priced as high as $17, but seriously – do I really to pay $17 for what is essentially a flimsy cone made of synthetic material? I realize that the Matfer bag is made in France, and I love French products, but let’s be reasonable.

The Matfer pastry bag is one of the most expensive on the market. However, there are more reasonably priced solutions for people on a budget or for those of us that refuse to pay a pretty penny on something like a pastry bag (Image courtesy of Sur La Table)

Fat Daddio’s manufactures a pastry bag with a plastic coated lining. The bags range in size from 8" to 21" and prices run from $1.95 to $5.19. These bags are also dishwasher safe i.e. perfect for the people who love baking and icing the finished product, but hate the clean up.

Fat Daddio's range of pastry bags are dishwasher safe and easy on the wallet too (Image courtesy of Ultimate Baker)
Admittedly, I do have some experience using pastry bags (just not purchasing them), and the Ateco canvas bag was the style I used. These bad boys can pipe out Crisco and make it look pretty, so just imagine what they can do with little old cupcake icing. Sizes range from 10" to 24" and prices run from $3.60 to $8.40.

Ateco's line of canvas pastry bags are favored by traditionalists for their durability (Image courtesy of Amazon)


If price is truly not an issue, Wunderbag seems to be the Mercedes of pastry bags. UltimateBaker.com describes Wunderbag bags as:

“Designed for the professional baker and pastry chef. Heavy weight construction provide exceptional durability. Each bag has double reinforced tip and a seamed hem to top with ahnging loop. Made of thick cotton felt coated with polyurethane. Softens with use!”


Softens with use you say? Well I’ll be darned! I’m still not convinced that a pricey pastry bag is the best option, but each to his own. Sizes range from 10" to 28" inch and prices run from $6.20 to $23.20.

Neither one of my local kitchen stores have pastry bags listed on their websites, but I know that they both carry the product. Since each stocks quality products in a range of prices, I’m sure I’ll be confronted with the full spectrum of pastry bags, but god willing, Ateco's canvas bag will be represented. If not, be sure to check your newspaper for stories chronicling a Brooklyn woman having a nervous break down in her local kitchen store this weekend – that’ll be me!



Previous CakeWalk Columns:
Corn isn’t just for the cob anymore (September 4, 2009)
How to diet and still eat cupcakes (August 28, 2009)
The return of Metalcakes (August 14, 2009)
Even Betty Crocker might have listened to Metallica... (August 7, 2009)
The history of the cupcake (July 31, 2009)
Prime peach season calls for seasonal cupcakes (July 24, 2009)
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream…cupcakes! (July 17, 2009)
Bastille Day offers perfect excuse for cupcakes that are tres chic (July 10, 2009)
Celebrate your Fourth of July with one of America’s favorite treats (July 3, 2009)
The symbolic power of the cupcake (June 26, 2009)
Giving something back to your community by simply making a cupcake (June 19, 2009)
The secret delights of regional cupcakes (June 12, 2009)
The silver dragée strikes again! (June 5, 2009)
Chic cupcakes for any budget - take that recession! (May 29, 2009)
Top me off bartender…err, baker in this case (May 22, 2009)
The importance of a moist cake (May 15, 2009)
The Savory Cupcake Dilemma of 2009 (May 8, 2009)
Will the real buttercream icing please stand up? (May 1, 2009)


Mary Ann is the founder of the New York City chapter of CupcakeCamp NYC, an ad-hoc gathering born from the desire for people to share and eat cupcakes in an open environment. She is also the founder of Puff and Choux, a blog dedicated to the pastry and dessert arts. You can contact her at mary_ann_porch@hotmail.com with any questions, ideas or just to chit chat. You can also follow her on Twitter at @MaryAPorch.

Comments