4 cupcake purchase limit at Hello Cupcake

And you thought Magnolia Bakery's limit of purchases of a dozen cupcakes on the spot was bad...

Newly opened Washington, DC bakery Hello, Cupcake has lost one customer, blogger culture me, dc, with its opening week policy of only 4 cupcakes per person:

I'm going to visit my boyfriend's aunt and uncle this weekend, so I planned to pop by the store and pick up a dozen cupcakes to take as a gift before leaving on the trip. However, after arriving at 10:15 a.m. and waiting in line for 20 minutes, I heard a customer in front of me ask to purchase a dozen cupcakes. The woman behind the counter informed him that, because it's opening week, customers are only allowed four cupcakes.

So he left. And I did, too. Between the two of us, Hello, Cupcake just lost nearly $70 worth of business.

I certainly understand Hello, Cupcake's effort to ensure they keep enough cupcakes on hand for the crowds, but it would've been quite helpful to inform customers of this four-cupcake limit BEFORE they wasted almost a half hour in line. I finally saw the 4" x 4" sign about this -- it was hidden near the cash register -- on my way out the door. A larger sign would've been nice, as would a note on the Web site. And if they prefer that you order large quantities of cupcakes in advance, then
recommend this to customers in a prominent place on the site.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hopefully you'll be able to get over yourself and realize that the loss of impatient customers will not impact this business. It may leave you and other Veruka-type personalities unhappy, but these are usually the very customers a business can do without.

Perhaps you'll give it the ole college try in the future!
Anonymous said…
First I would like to say I love your blogspot. I think it's awesome! I think that as far as the whole 4 cupcake purchase goes I can understand that since it's a new shop that just opened. So maybe you should give them another chance, I mean it's not like you waited in line for 20 minutes and got to the counter and they ran out of cupcakes. I'm a Pastry Chef so I personally know that new businesses take time to work the kinks out. If the cupcakes are worth it I would definitely go back. :)
Unknown said…
I agree on cupcake lovers should not be limited to the amount of cupcakes. I can say however that the Hello Cupcake original was not that great, and the only one (of the four i was allowed to purchase) that i actually enjoyed was vanilla Gorilla. My Question for the Blog.... which is better Georgetown or Hello... hello is 3 bucks Georgetown is 2.75
Kate said…
I'll definitely head back to Hello Cupcake at some point, as I really do want to try their cupcakes. And sure, I understand that the shop can't bake an infinite amount of cupcakes. All I'm asking for is a bit more communication on their end.
Anonymous said…
I agree with you that the 4 piece limit sign should have been more obvious but I'm sure they were trying to be dimplomatic and ensure that as many people as possible would have a chance to try their cupcakes.
For reasons such as you have outlined, I would never patronise a a highly anticipated business launch - just too much pressure being in a crowd of people 'hungry' for a piece of the action. Combine that with new staff and a rhythm yet to be finetuned and you have a recipe for disappointment. That's just me anyway. Some people LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Store Openings. Me, I have a phobia of crowds. If they are as good as they think then there'll be plenty more opportunities to swing by and try them.