Cranberry cupcakes and more at Sweet E's Cupcakes, Vineyard Haven, MA

Remember how last September I wrote on this very blog, "the Vineyard would be a good home for an all-cupcake bakery!"?

Well, now there is one! It's called Sweet E's Cupcakes (website TK) and it's on Main Street in Vineyard Haven, the town where I'm staying with my family. The owner, Ezra, is a former Magnolia Bakery employee, and the shop just opened two weeks ago.

Sweet E's Cupcakes, Vineyard Haven, MA

It's very cute, and has fun cupcake sayings above the door (they change daily). You can go grab your own plate or napkin or box and pick out your cupcakes. Today the flavors were vanilla/vanilla, chocolate frosting on vanilla cake, strawberry, cranberry (!!), orange creamsicle, malted milk, peanut butter, chocolate peanut butter, and (I think) chocolate and vanilla latte (those two are the filled cupcakes).

Malted milk cupcakes, Sweet E's Cupcakes, Vineyard Haven, MA
malted milk cupcakes

So far, I've only tasted the cranberry, the peanut butter and the chocolate frosting/vanilla cake. I didn't see any chocolate cake.

Cranberry cupcakes, Sweet E's Cupcakes, Vineyard Haven, MA
cranberry cupcakes

Firstly, I'd never even heard of cranberry cupcakes. I asked what they were because Ezra was sugaring them and they looked beautiful. I ate the entire thing, which is saying a lot. These are fairly large cupcakes, not rivaling Crumbs or Sprinkles by any means, but bigger than a Magnolia cupcake. I still have several I bought to taste later on, but I got seduced by the slightly tart taste of the cranberry, the texture of the sugar, and the very moist and delicious cake. I was very impressed with the cake, which I ate some of separately from the frosting. It really held up.

Sweet E's Cupcakes, Vineyard Haven, MA

I also liked the peanut butter, and that it had little candies on top. There are different decorations on the chocolate and vanilla cupcakes, from colored sugar to dragees to a chocolate-covered cherry on the chocolate. I like that little extra touch. The chocolate frosting was decent, very sweet, but I liked the cranberry best of the three of tried. More taste reports later, after I try the others I bought.

The shop is pretty small, and used to be a t-shirt store. There's no room to sit inside, but just outside is an ice cream parlor and sandwich shop and place to sit. I saw signs for coconut key lime cupcakes, and there are a few other flavors that weren't being offered today.

Sweet E's Cupcakes, Vineyard Haven, MA

Each day, there's a new saying above the door; when I was there today, it said: "I can resist anything, except cupcakes."

Cupcake 4 pack, Sweet E's Cupcakes, Vineyard Haven, MA
From top left: vanilla/vanilla, chocolate/vanilla, peanut butter, vanilla/vanilla

The t-shirts ($20 each) have this on the back:

photo.jpg

Sweet E's Cupcakes, Vineyard Haven, MA

Right now, they're cash only. Regular cupcakes are $3.50 each, filled are $4.50 each, with bulk discounts: $18 for 6, $36 for 12.

I'm so glad the Vineyard finally has a cupcake bakery, and I think it will appeal to locals and tourists. I was there on three separate occasions today and they seemed to be doing good business. They have 4 or 6-pack to go boxes with slots for the cupcakes so they don't get jostled, and also sell mugs ($10). I like what they have going: a basic cupcake shop setup, with some experimental/unusual flavors as well as the usual suspects (save for red velvet and chocolate cake). I will definitely be back and would recommend it to those vacationing on Martha's Vineyard.

Hilarious - Aaron eats a filled cupcake
My cousin's friend eats his filled cupcake

Sweet E's Cupcakes
18 Main St
Vineyard Haven, MA 02568
508-693-6400
Open 11-7 daily

all photos by Rachel Kramer Bussel for Cupcakes Take the Cake; see entire photo set here

Comments

Rose said…
Your cranberry cupcakes look good, but they yasted good too! :)
Unknown said…
These cupcakes look fabulous! I had some cupcakes at MadJon Bakery in North Augusta, SC - believe it or not - that tasted as good as yours look. I think their secret is this stuff called CakeSyrup. Have you ever used it? http://www.madjonbakery.com
Unknown said…
sexy looking cupcakes....what tip have you used for the frosting?
Thank you.