Recipe: Chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter filling and chocolate ganache frosting

I told y'all I was lucky enough to go cupcaking with CakeSpy recently, right? Our first stop was at Butter Lane.

Jessie Oleson (Head Spy) was asking Maria Baugh (coowner of Butter Lane) about the care and feeding of the bakery (while I snacked on a most excellent new-flavor summer-cherry cupcake) and Maria mentioned some inconsistencies she'd found baking chocolate (cup)cakes. I am not usually a chocolate cake person (my litmus test for cupcakes is vanilla-vanilla) due, in part, to the dryness I usually encounter with chocolate cupcakes. To be enjoyable for me, it would need to be a fudgy and, well, almost damp cake.



Butter Lane


(For the record, I've had Butter Lane's chocolate cupcakes before (especially good with peanut butter frosting) and they were delicious.)



This got me thinking about dryness and chocolate cake, which sent me to my cookbooks (I love cookbooks...), where I selected the following recipe from Entertaining Simple by Matthew Mead (photos by Quentin Bacon). The cookbook is published by Wiley, and I am reprinting the recipe with permission:


Chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter filling

(These decadent-looking cupcakes are easy to make and more tempting with fresh chocolate ganache.)


1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter

[optional] chocolate ganache


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place liners in two standard 12-cup muffin tins.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until combined. Whisk in the eggs, water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Combine whisking until the batter is completely mixed.

3. Fill each muffin cup with 1/4 cup batter. Bake 15 to 17 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; then remove from the muffin pans. Cool completely before filling and icing.

4. Fit a pastry bag with a number 20 (small) star tip. Spoon the peanut butter into the bag. Press the tip into the center of the cupcake top; squeeze the bag for 3 seconds to fill the cupcake with about 3/4 tablespoon peanut butter. Repeat for each cupcake. Set the bag aside.

5. Using a small knife, remove any excess peanut butter from the cupcake tops. Using an offset spatula, spread [optional, chocolate] ganache over the top of each. Add a flourish to the top by squeezing a bit of peanut butter through the star tip.


Makes 24 cupcakes

Simplify: Begin with cupcakes from your favorite bakery -- all you'll have to do is fill them with peanut butter and frost.





You can see a picture of the cupcake on the cover of the cookbook. This isn't a cupcake cookbook, it's more of an entertaining coffee table book, but I like the ideas they present, and the pictures are lovely. I wish I could do more entertaining, but I live in a tiny Manhattan apartment, and when even 3 other people are here it feels crowded.


As for the recipe, I think I would do this with my patented (not really) injection method. And I'd probably use natural peanut butter, and a standard chocolate ganache for a dipped topping. The author suggests using brandy in the ganache recipe, but I'd probably skip that. Last time I accidentally had whiskey in a pie I almost had to be wheeled home. Sad.

I am thinking that the peanut butter filling, in addition to the fact that the cupcakes are made with buttermilk, would keep things moist (hate that word!!). And sealing the top by dipping them into the chocolate ganache can only help, in my opinion.

Do you have any fool-proof chocolate cake recipes that you want to share? Please post below.


:)








Comments

Snowmanlover said…
Wow those look great! We are taking our second class next week. We can bring cupcakes or a cake. Gosh these look yummy! I really enjoy your blog!
Anonymous said…
Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Online promotional tips for bakeries" to our Food Directory . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


Warm Regards

foodnrecipes.info Team

http://www.foodnrecipes.info
Anonymous said…
Here is my never-fail chocolate cake recipe. I was never a chocolate cake fan until I tasted this recipe; it's really delicious. I have been using whole wheat flour to add some whole grain into my desserts, and in this recipe, you can't even tell it's whole wheat flour. Really!

Ultimate Chocolate Cake

2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. flour (whole wheat flour also works well)
3/4 c. cocoa
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 c. milk or soymilk
1/3 c. oil
2 t. vanilla
2 eggs
1 c. boiling water

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 13” x 9” pan, 2 8” round or square pans, a Bundt pan, or 24 cupcake liners.

Combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until well-blended.

Add milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs; beat at medium speed for 2 minutes, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl.

Fold in boiling water with a spatula. Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 25-50 minutes, depending on the pan being used, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Lisa
Justin said…
These sound amazing. Definitely need to give them a try. Thanks for the recipe!
Christina Viering said…
Thanks for the great recipes!
Teddi Taylor said…
This is classic and yummy. The cake itself is vegan (but not the frosting).

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Old-Fashioned-Chocolate-Cake-with-Cocoa-Frosting-755
Egy Azziera said…
chocolate and peanut butter... that's a match made in heaven. It was a spice cupcake with chocolate ganache and peanut butter frosting. Thanks for the recipe!