My favorite cupcake froster: Marc Sebastian at Billy's Bakery

I so meant to post this last week, but time got away from me, so my apologies. I had one of the most fun cupcake bakeries experiences last Thursday walking back from Chelsea Piers, and got to feel like a cupcake rockstar when I got recognized.

My friend Christine and I were walking in Chelsea and I knew we were going to pass by Billy's Bakery. Now, I tend to prefer the Tribeca branch of Billy's but figured we were so close we should give it a shot. I walked in and there was a familiar face: Marc, who I'd met at the Tribeca store last time. He was super nice and even knew this blog! Aww...

Then I saw that there were not just single-color frosted cupcakes, but dual-colored yellow and blue ones that were so fun-looking, and also matched the pastel yellow and green retro homey decor of Billy's Bakery.

Pretty frosted cupcakes at Billy's Bakery Chelsea

Pretty frosted cupcakes at Billy's Bakery Chelsea

As I was oohing and aahing over them, and after I'd already bought my strawberry shortcake cupcake in its little to-go container ($3.50 total for box and cupcake, and it's the cuteness!), he offered to triple-frost me a cupcake.

Strawberry shortcake cupcake at Billy's Bakery Chelsea

Well, I had to go plug my phone in so I could take a photo so I missed the actual motion of his frosting action, but Christine told me it was amazing. I have never frosted a cupcake for a bakery but I think if you've ever watched a professional froster in action you know it's not as easy as it may look.

And this is what he made me:

Triple color frosting swirled cupcake at Billy's Bakery Chelsea

And the top view:

Top view of pretty cupcake at Billy's Bakery Chelsea

So adorable! He even asked what kind of sprinkles I wanted and I wasn't sure, because honestly, I didn't want to ruin the beautiful swirl effect, so he chose clear sugar crystals that worked perfectly and added a little dazzle and gave my cupcake a nice crunch. I wound up sharing it the next day, and actually microwaved it for slightly too long (10 seconds seems best, 15 may make it gooey - still good, but gooey). Their vanilla frosting is a thick, rich, very sweet buttercream, so is honestly best shared or savored in small bursts of sugar in your mouth, at least, that's how I eat it, rather than an entire one all at once.

So, Billy's Bakery Chelsea, thanks to the frostilicious handiwork of Marc Sebastian, you have redeemed yourself in my eyes! And Marc is my very favorite froster.

Marc Sebastian at Billy's Bakery Chelsea

Follow Billy's Bakery on Twitter (@billysbakerynyc) for the latest.

Comments

Kanani said…
Great post! You've really caught the essence of Billy's.
Karen Graham said…
I think that Marc is the best froster in NYC! That cupcake looks divine!