Cupcake trucks invade New York part 1: Cake and Shake

I tried new New York City cupcake truck Cake and Shake, which opened last Wednesday, parked at the northeast corner of Washington Square Park, last weekend. Cupcakes are $3 each and they have five flavors daily, which rotate.

photo.jpg

I bought one each of these flavors:

Cake and Shake cupcake truck, Washington Square Park, NYC

They were all interesting, with very strong flavors, like a spicy carrot cupcake. That isn't one I'd personally get again, but I like that there was a kick to it and that it was different from the average carrot cupcake, which made it interesting. They were pretty big, best to be shared in my opinion, and had a sortof "healthy" taste to some of them, like the carrot one. I liked the chocolate one, which I think was the Watchamacallit. The blueberry was very, very blueberry, as the inside photo below reveals. These had interesting textures and flavor combinations, and the cakes were moist and also a little thicker than at a bakery like Magnolia or Sugar Sweet Sunshine. They're intense, and I wouldn't recommend trying five at once unless you're a cupcake blogger. Pick one or two or share them, because the flavors are rich and intense.

I appreciate the peel away paper wrappers which, according to their site, are biodegradable. I meant to post this closer to having eaten them but since a few days have passed each one isn't that sharp in my mind (sorry), but I will be back and think it's great that they'll be at the park, which is a major hangout, especially in summer. They are part of New York's cupcake truck explosion, which we'll be reporting more on soon.

Cake and Shake cupcake truck, Washington Square Park, NYC

Cake and Shake cupcake truck, Washington Square Park, NYC

Cake and Shake cupcake truck, Washington Square Park, NYC

Most of the cupcakes are filled.

Cake and Shake cupcake truck, Washington Square Park, NYC

Cake and Shake cupcake truck, Washington Square Park, NYC

Cake and Shake cupcake truck, Washington Square Park, NYC

Cake and Shake cupcake truck, Washington Square Park, NYC

See more of my photos here. I'll be trying other flavors again soon and can give you a better and more timely report. Plus now they have shakes (hence their name), including salted caramel, which they didn't when I visited, and pupcakes.

In other news, they've brought on my friend and former elementary school classmate David Heatley as Creative Director. From their site:

As an artist and cartoonist, what was it like to design a mobile food cart?

Storytelling is my natural mode. It’s the way I approach all the pictures I make. But I have a great love and respect for commercial art. When branding and design are done well, they rival any other art form for me.

I was excited to have the chance to work with such a big canvas and to be able to make pictures about the concepts of organic, biodiesel, solar power. My style is naturally playful, colorful and exuberant. It was satisfying to have a client who never asked me to reign it in. Gina and Derek have been in lockstep with my creative intuition from the very start. This may be the first project where my decade of experience in both cartooning and advertising have come together.

I’m thrilled to have been able to work on this. I’ll be at the opening next week, and might even play a song or two.

Comments

jamie rathjen said…
Three cheers for the Cake and Shake. These cupcakes carts are the gretest thing that's happened to New York.